Serving Those Who Served Us
Embracing Our Warriors in a charitable nonprofit dedicated to providing orthodontic treatment to disabled veterans and their immediate family. Newly formed in 2023, with rapid plans for expansion across the country.
Program Eligibility and Application Process:
Embracing Our Warriors provides Smile Service Award for free orthodontic treatment to disabled veterans who are experiencing financial hardship and need assistance with orthodontic treatment for themselves or an immediate family member, such as a spouse or child. After being matched with an orthodontist for free orthodontic treatment, a $100 application fee is required to cover the cost of processing your application (Maximum of two applicants per family).
- Honorable discharge with a Service-Related Disability
- Cannot afford the cost of orthodontic treatment
- Demonstrates good dental hygiene
- Exhibits a moderate/severe need for braces
- Family income should not exceed 300% of the federal poverty level
To be considered for a Smile Service Award, please submit the Request for Treatment application. Please answer of the questions and share why you believe you are deserving of a Smile Service Award.
The application process is competitive, and the number of Smile Service Award that we can accept each year is limited. However, we will do our best to assist as many deserving individuals as possible. Please know that there are no guarantees that we will be able to locate an orthodontist for you or that you will receive an award.
- The Embracing Our Warriors staff diligently reviews applications to determine eligibility. Selection is based on the comprehensive information provided within the application, considering both orthodontic and financial needs. It is crucial to submit all required information to ensure a thorough review. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Once an applicant submits their application, they have 30-days to fax or email all necessary documents as listed. Failure to provide these items within the specified timeframe may result in archiving the application, necessitating a restart of the application process.
- Upon receipt of all required documentation your application will be screened for pre-approval. Service Smile Award are chosen by a screening committee at the national office.
- Following pre-approval, Embracing Our Warriors will begin the process of locating an orthodontist within 30 to 45 minutes of the applicant’s home address. The process is competitive and may take approximately 4-6 months.
- Once the applicant is pre-approved for the Service Smile Award and an orthodontist is located and the $100 application fee will need to be paid. Upon payment of this fee, the applicant’s file is sent to the participating orthodontist for the final step in the approval process. The orthodontist will have 30 to 45 days to reach out to the patient for the initial consultation and final approval decided. If the applicant is not granted the Service Smile Award, the $100 application fee is refunded.
- If an approved applicant relocates during the course of treatment, Embracing Our Warriors cannot guarantee the availability of a participating orthodontist in their new location. The cost of completing the treatment will be the responsibility of the applicant.
(email documents to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Proof of Disability – Provide current year VA Disability Award letter.
- Proof of Honorable Discharge – Provide a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD214).
If you need a copy of your DD214 or current year disability award letter, please click here to go to the eBenefits.va.gov website. If you have any difficulty obtaining your documents through the E-Benefits link provided, we suggest searching for your local veterans center for in-person assistance.
- Dental Clearance – Must be completed and returned by the applicant’s dentist as it explains all former problems and dental hygiene.
- Facial Pictures – Submit closeup photos of teeth using your phone or other device.
- Proof of Income – Most recent copy of your full tax return (to include all pages and schedules). Applicant receiving treatment must be listed on the return. Must include disability award letter showing amount of income and copy of W-2.